Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dancing in the Rain!

Did you ever have those moments in your childhood when your parents said 'no' to something, or wouldn't let you do something that you thought would be SO much fun? Then when you get a bit older you say things like "I will never say 'no' when I'm a Mum/Dad!' or 'I'll let my kids [insert activity here]'?

I have had a few of those moments throughout my almost 6 years as a Mum. I will admit, I do understand where my parents were coming from with most of the 'no' pile of activities, especially now that I have children of my own.

I often find myself saying 'no' when the kids ask to do stuff - like jumping off the couch, climbing that gigantic tree, running into the ocean when we don't have any towels/change of clothes in the car - & then when they ask me 'why?', I usually do not have any other reason than 'because I said no'!

So I've made a pact (?) that if I don't have a really good reason as to why I've said no, then I don't get to say no!

So this afternoon when it started raining & Jocelyn asked me if she could go play outside, what did I say??

...

I said - "Sure, why not!" - Why did I say this? Because I couldn't find a good enough reason as to why they couldn't play in the rain! - Come on, keep up people! - The shower would be waiting to clean & warm them up when they were done.

I don't think the kids knew what to do -Mum actually said YES! They took off at full speed (Jocelyn had a quick pit stop for a costume change) & had a ball dancing in the rain together. Poor Pooper missed out - he was busy snoozin'

I must continue to say yes more often - it felt very liberating.

Peace out
xx


1 comment:

  1. Love it. My 2 littleys played in the rain yesterday also. Love it. And cooled them down after the hot day

    ReplyDelete