Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nightmares.

I knew something was up with my Bailey boy yesterday when I picked him up from school - in fact Matt had said that Bailey seemed off that morning when Matt was droping him at school also. I kept asking him if there was something wrong but he just told me that he had hurt his knee running around.

Come bed time Bailey was still awake almost 2 hours after he was supposed to be asleep. I caught him sneaking back to bed after getting a drink from the kitchen & stopped him in the hallway to have a chat. I squatted down to him & asked him why he wasn't asleep yet. He bowed his head, but didn't say anything. I asked him if he would tell me what was bothering him & he looked up at me slowly & as his lower lip trembled he told me that he couldn't. I started worrying & insisting that he could tell me. His eyes began to water & his lip tembled some more as he told me that he still couldn't because it was too sad. My eyes started welling up at this. I gave him a big hug &reassured him that he could always tell me what upsets him, no matter how sad it is & that everything will be OK. So he started talking. Turns out he had bad dreams the night before about people with guns killing all the little children & every one else & was terrified that he would see it again this night. I tried to hold back tears as I held him tight in my arms. Bailey then told Matt what he told me & Matt nodded & said that Bailey had told him the same thing that morning at school! My poor Bailey - this had been playing on his mind all day & now he was terrified to even try to go to sleep for fear of seeing the same nasty things again!

Matt & I reassured him that he wouldn't see that again tonight. We imagined up a lovely dream about Movie World (he has asked to go there on his holidays) that he would see tonight instead. He seemed happy with this & fell asleep as soon as he got back into his bed.

This morning when I asked him what he dreamt about he told me happily that he had a dream about Movie World! Thank Goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment